This past week February arrived in a flurry of ice and snow. While I appreciated the snow days the blizzard brought, I have reached the point in winter where I start dreaming wistfully of spring and looking for ways to add some bright colors (yellow in particular) to the house.
Valentine’s Day is also coming up this week. While I understand that some people really hate Valentine’s Day, complaining that it was created by Hallmark for the sake of consumerism, or that it highlights some people’s loneliness in painful ways, or that it tries to cram romance into a single day rather than spreading it out throughout the year like good relationships should, I have always loved the idea of taking a day to intentionally celebrate those you love (including friends and family as much as significant others). Every year I try to find little ways to celebrate the day, whether with special treats in the morning or handmade cards for friends and family.
So last night, wrapped in a sweater with snow piled high outside, I made this simple, cheerful heart garland to hang above our front window.
I began by cutting a whole stack of hearts out of old magazine pages, specifically choosing pages that featured warm yellows, oranges, and pinks, as well as bright florals. I interspersed these with hearts cut from the old hymnal I bought at the thrift store two Christmases ago, arranging them in a long line on the table to alternate the colors and patterns the way I wanted.
Then I sewed them all together, adding hearts from the stack as I went along.
It was so easy! Once the hearts were cut out, the sewing part took less than ten minutes. I foresee more sewn garlands coming up in my future…
(P.S. It looks pretty great with my homemade curtains — which I still love)
Posted by thelordshousekeeper on February 8, 2014
Over the past two and a half months since we moved, I have been slowly rearranging, replacing, and adding touches to the house to make it feel more welcoming, more like home. Sewing new curtains for the living room/dining room was near the top of my list of projects when we moved in. When we agreed to move into the house, Maggie had already hired a friend to sew fabric blinds for all the windows. After she finished the upstairs blinds, though, I asked if I could sew my own curtains for the first floor to let in more light and better match my vision for the space.
After searching for curtain ideas and feeling dissatisfied with the heavy fabrics of most curtains, I stumbled across this photo on Pinterest:
The bright light and colorful yellow edging caught my attention and became the inspiration for making curtains. I knew I needed something that offered some privacy (more than sheer curtains), but still let in plenty of light (an essential for me in a home space).
After some searching, I found a good deal on mini pom pom fringe in bulk from this site and ordered two spools. I bought five flat twin sheets from Wal-Mart, all in plain white. I cut open the ends of the hem to allow a curtain rod to pass through and re-sewed the edge to make it neater, which ended up being the most complicated part of the project (with the last two curtains I finally realized that I could just fold over that top part and not have to rip open any seems, which was so much easier). Then I measured and hemmed the bottom so it reached just to the floor. Finally I sewed the trim along the sides (if I had more of the trim I would have added a row of the trip along the top seem as well, but I only had enough for the sides). After pinning (and re-pinning) the trip to the first several curtains, I finally discovered that it was a lot easier to sew on and actually stayed smoother when I didn’t pin it.
The stitching on the first couple curtains turned out pretty rough as I figured out the rhythm our housemate’s sewing machine (I’m not even going to post a picture of the horrible stitching on the back of those first curtains, even after tearing it out a few times), but by the time I finished the final curtains, things became a lot smoother and straighter.
In the end, uneven stitching and all, I felt pretty proud of how they turned out. The white and yellow brightened up the room considerably, giving it a clean, peaceful feel, and the curtains drew together the two rooms.
Posted by thelordshousekeeper on August 20, 2013
One of the perks of my current job is two full weeks off in August, followed by a week of meetings, orientations, and preparation for the fall semester. My family will be visiting for most of the second week (yes!), but this week I’ve found myself with more free time than I’ve had since I was unemployed last summer. I’ve squandered some of that time just relaxing — browsing pinterest, reading, and wandering through the park with my camera — but I’ve also done some babysitting, visiting with friends, and helping friends move.
I did take one one larger project this week as well: painting our kitchen. We had nearly a full gallon of yellow paint left from when we painted at the Tracy House (we over-estimated how much paint we would need for the living room there), so when we’ve talked about using it to paint the kitchen since we moved in — almost a year ago now — but never actually did it. In a fit of cleaning and organizing this week, though, I pulled out the paint and decided to go for it. I finished most of the kitchen in just a couple hours and then completed the rest today. Though it was a relatively small change, it really added some life and warmth to the space.
The kitchen before:
(This is probably the cleanest the kitchen has ever been, by the way, and perhaps the cleanest it ever will be)
Posted by thelordshousekeeper on August 3, 2012